If you wish to join please email us your details and we will send an invite if we have space to, if no space available we will add your name to our waiting list and we will email you to join us as soon as a spot is available.

Thanks Dawn and Wendy
x


Thursday, June 23, 2011

Conquering my fear of Curves!!


Have you ever made a quilt block with curves that ended up looking like a "B" cup? I did. Once. About 6 years ago. And I have not bothered to give it a try since. Until now! I am hooked! At AccuQuilt's Let's Go! Retreat earlier this month in Fremont, Nebraska, USA, one of the classes they taught used the "Drunkard's Path" die to cut out the blocks.

Finally! Smooth cuts, perfect curves, a little notch in the center to line up the pieces, and the blocks nearly made themselves!  (This sounds like a commercial for AccuQuilt, doesn't it?)  In fact, the blocks went together so quickly, that the retreat hosts, Country Traditions, allowed those who finished a quilt top to actually machine quilt them on one of their Handi-Quilter longarm machines there at the shop. I finished my quilt top, (56" x 56"), took them up on their offer, and I machine-quilted it before dinner in time for "Sew & Tell"!  I was able to put the binding on and finish the hand-stitching on the long drive back home from the retreat.  Another UFO down!!  (66 to go...)
I am cured! I love these curves! Everything fits together without hills and valleys. And it appears that the design possibilities are endless. Have you made a quilt with curves? How do you feel about them?  I will definitely try this again!

6 comments:

Wendy B said...

Oh Deonn, I l-o-v-e your colour combinations.....I've got some blocks made sitting there waiting as a UFO....I think it's time to start on them again!!!!
Magnificent!
sew many hugs
Wendy :O) x

Siobhan said...

Hi Deonn, it's gorgeous. I love the colours and the circles are fab. I have never tried curves but I will not that I have seen yours :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I made a quilt with curves for my hubby. I used the Flip Flop block. My quilt is featured in her book as a way to use her template with out using her pattern. Self taught. I just took it slowly and lots of pinning. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but, it turned out nicely.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

very pretty quilt curves and colour

Kayly said...

What a spectacular quilt! Love the colours. How lucky were you to be able to long arm quilt it.

Susan said...

Love your quilt - well done for the finish - only 66 to go?? You sound as bad as me!