Thursday, June 23, 2011

Conquering my fear of Curves!!


Have you ever made a quilt block with curves that ended up looking like a "B" cup? I did. Once. About 6 years ago. And I have not bothered to give it a try since. Until now! I am hooked! At AccuQuilt's Let's Go! Retreat earlier this month in Fremont, Nebraska, USA, one of the classes they taught used the "Drunkard's Path" die to cut out the blocks.

Finally! Smooth cuts, perfect curves, a little notch in the center to line up the pieces, and the blocks nearly made themselves!  (This sounds like a commercial for AccuQuilt, doesn't it?)  In fact, the blocks went together so quickly, that the retreat hosts, Country Traditions, allowed those who finished a quilt top to actually machine quilt them on one of their Handi-Quilter longarm machines there at the shop. I finished my quilt top, (56" x 56"), took them up on their offer, and I machine-quilted it before dinner in time for "Sew & Tell"!  I was able to put the binding on and finish the hand-stitching on the long drive back home from the retreat.  Another UFO down!!  (66 to go...)
I am cured! I love these curves! Everything fits together without hills and valleys. And it appears that the design possibilities are endless. Have you made a quilt with curves? How do you feel about them?  I will definitely try this again!

6 comments:

Wendyb said...

Oh Deonn, I l-o-v-e your colour combinations.....I've got some blocks made sitting there waiting as a UFO....I think it's time to start on them again!!!!
Magnificent!
sew many hugs
Wendy :O) x

Siobhan said...

Hi Deonn, it's gorgeous. I love the colours and the circles are fab. I have never tried curves but I will not that I have seen yours :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I made a quilt with curves for my hubby. I used the Flip Flop block. My quilt is featured in her book as a way to use her template with out using her pattern. Self taught. I just took it slowly and lots of pinning. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but, it turned out nicely.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

very pretty quilt curves and colour

Cheryl (aka Kayly) said...

What a spectacular quilt! Love the colours. How lucky were you to be able to long arm quilt it.

Susan said...

Love your quilt - well done for the finish - only 66 to go?? You sound as bad as me!