Friday, October 19, 2012

You girls are the best!

Wendy and Dawn, I really have to thank you so much not only for running this but also for the added incentives you offer - I would never have thought I would get through as much as I have already! I have been so lucky to win your Sew Stitchy charm pack and received 9 of your lovely BOMs, so I just have to keep on going to make it all 12;-) You are the best!!!

Here is my October finish, finish #17, which is like a journey through my quilting progress over the last year or two: Inspired by Gloria Loughman's work I doodled in fabric, and from left where I started to right, and then the back, you can see my progress: From raw edge and stitched down applique, carefully drawn and cut, to freemotion quilting on freehand cut shaped and trapunto circles, the quilting mainly inspired by Leah Day and Angela Walters as well as tutorials from the FMQ Challenge on SewCalGal. The material is all various scraps, except on the back where I used the dropcloth from my fabric painting. Instead of a hanging sleeve I used I think LuAnn Kessi's method of attaching fabric triangles in the top corners so all you do is put a piece of thin doweling in there and if you use small hooks, you can mount your wallhanging pretty much invisibly! (sorry, haven't taken a photograph from the back yet).


I'm starting to scratch the bottom of the barrel but I'll try to get a finish in next month again. At the same time though I have started enough new things that I just might have to go on another UFO completing round next year...
Happy Sewing!

8 comments:

Melody said...

Fabulous finish Monika

Studio V said...

Awesome!

Wendyb said...

Awwwww shucks Moni, thank you!!! How lovely are you???!!!! Now, If I can only capture some of your attitude and get some of my ufo's done too...unfortunately, I still keep adding more to the neverending pile!!!! haha
I do love your Gloria Loughman inspired artwork and congrats on another finish....you go girl!!!!
sew many hugs
Wendy :O)

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

I love all the textures...beautiful!

Sandy Panagos said...

That is stunning!

Dawn said...

Wow, such an art piece...you should be proud of that..its adorable..and like Wendy said'shucks' you all inspire me...thanks and keep them finishes coming x

Chris H said...

Utterly stunning!!!! LOVE IT.

KJC said...

Visually stunning Monika. What size is the piece?