If you wish to join please email us your details and we will send an invite if we have space to, if no space available we will add your name to our waiting list and we will email you to join us as soon as a spot is available.

Thanks Dawn and Wendy
x


Saturday, April 14, 2012

Early April Finish

Typically I sneak in in the last few days of the month, but today I have an early April finish:
This is (finally) for my little niece Storm who at 27 months is due to move out of the cot into her big girl's bed! I am almost ashamed to admit that is is made from the leftovers of my pinwheel table cloth I finished in January. It had all started out as a Moda Jelly Roll, you know the ones that look like a humongous lollipop? I just had to have that :-) The pinwheels were cut at 60 deg angles out of pieced jelly roll strips, and there were heaps of leftovers after. I pieced the leftover triangles into rectangles, put them into a tessellating pattern with white blocks added in (that's the ones with the appliques hearts and flowers). They again formed pinwheels! I added border after border (still using the leftovers!) to bring it up to a single size and appliqued her name on. The batting is polyester, I had forgotten how slippery that can be! I have put a post on my own blog and will include some more photos soon, too, so come over and have a look how it all came together.
Closer up of the quilting - I had forgotten how much loft polyester batting can have!

The quilting was inspired by Christina on A Few Scraps - to me it feels like some of the beautiful  little weeds that creep up fences


Probably my quickest finish to date, it took 13 days from start to finish - so why post it here? The bag with leftovers had been in my WIPs / UFOs for yonks, and the quilt I had started for Storm last year has turned into my own (still not finished) QD9. Regardless, I love all you gals company in getting through my UFOs!!!!

xo Monika

10 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

yay!! it turned out wonderful

sunny said...

Fantastic! You make beautiful things from leftover scraps.

Susan said...

Excellent use of leftovers! I am sure Storm will be very cosy snuggling under it!

Wendy B said...

Gorgeous....and what a clever use of your scraps! Go girl!
sew many hugs
Wendy :O) xo

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Great use of scraps! I like how you made the borders and I think having your niece's name at the top is fun.

Maria said...

You made a beautiful quilt out of your scraps. Lucky niece...

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Turned out beautifully! Great use of scraps!

Cheryl said...

So wonderful..and from leftovers!! What a great quilt and great finish!

Cheryl said...

So wonderful..and from leftovers!! What a great quilt and great finish!

Chris H said...

Wow you work fast! It's a gorgeous quilt too!