Saturday, March 31, 2012

Unexpected March Finish

I had planned to get my Quadruple Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt (QD9) finished for this month - but last night I realised I was short on fabric for the border. Damn, I sort of knew all along, because when I added it up I had forgotten to count the top binding strips twice  because it's folded over (I use the method from Mari on The Quilting Edge). Well, with the Easter Holidays coming up maybe it becomes an early April finish?

I didn't want to miss out on Wendy and Dawn's blocks, so I had to finish one of my UFOs! (I don't know if I can make them last all this year, they are nicely moving out of my pile and getting finished!!!)

Feeling dizzy :-)? This was made by request of oldest DS who enjoys reading Horrible History, Horrible Science and Murderous Maths books where this was shown. Originally he wanted it as a placemat, but it turned out a bit too big for that.
It actually is very simple, because all these strips are of the same width, but the placement of the black and white squares creates this optical illusion when viewed from a distance. I don't know if you get the same illusion without the grey stitching around all the squares - we struggled to see it, but only later realised that you need to stand further away. Yellow machine binding around the outside and voila, my March finish!
Just to prove that all lines are (more or less) straight!
Probably not my tidiest work (that machine binding bugs me...) but I enjoy the resulting optical illusion effect. His Highness = oldest DS happy and wants to use it as Chess Board with a twist ;-)
Finish #7!

5 comments:

Susan said...

I can see that would be very appealing to a male - amazing the illusion it creates isn't it??

sunny said...

Very interesting! You've done a beautiful job.

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Amazing, love the way the optical illusion worked out!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Wow! It sure does look wonky from the front. Wonderful finish!

Chris H said...

Wow that's looks like a complicated pattern! Awesome finish.