Friday, March 15, 2013

OMG!!!

Remember I mentioned a big UFO finish in an earlier post this month? Here it is:
"Frei" - my entry to the AQC Challenge (theme 'free')


My (secret) quilt has taken the first hurdle, it is off to Australia!!! I just received instructions to send in to Australia for the judges to make their final selection.

Can anyone tell me, how great are the chances of being accepted? They don't say when they let you know about acceptance, not before 28 March obviously. I said if it was accepted I would go to Melbourne over Easter - do I need to start looking for flights?

Some details:



 

This is the brief summary I sent in with my entry:
"ARBEIT MACHT FREI" (labour frees) said the sign at the Nazi Concentration Camps. The surviving prisoners were freed more than 60 years ago, but is our world today truly free?
This quilt is a glance at what the world might look like once it is freed from human kind – some traces still remaining, but soon to be completely taken over by nature, with only the word ‘FREI’ (free) remaining.

It is made up of hand printed and commercial cottons, overlaid with hand painted silk chiffon. The flowers are hand felted by my mother Ilse Seidel, wrapping around a machine stitched chain-link fence I had stitched onto wash-away fusible. I raw edge appliqued various objects - especially the rusted sign from above the entrance. I also thread painted flowers and fmqed in different scale to give the piece depth. I am very pleased with how the piece turned out though it is very different to what I usually do! One piece of warning, if you want to burn fabrics to make them look rusted, try to keep your hands away from the hot fabric, I ended with some not so nice burns on the back of my fingers!

I have done little other quilting, have been very busy and very happy in my new job, but this weekend will be spent adding hanging sleeve and label so I can put "Frei" in the mail to AUS on Monday. I will have to look into the whole insurance thing, too - all things I never have had to worry about before!

Happy Sewing!!!

9 comments:

Becca said...

This is a stunning piece, the words really bring it to life. I'm not surprised the judges want to see it. Good luck

Maureen Clare said...

That is amazing and what an achievement. I love the sentiment behind the design. Simply wonderful

Wendyb said...

Oh Moni, what a wonderful world that would be!!!!!
Fingers and toes crossed for you!
xox Wendy :O)

Chris H said...

I think your quilt is gorgeous, and the 'story' behind it is touching.

Susan said...

Wow! Congratulations - very touching!

miss~nance said...

WOW what a gorgeous finish. All the best with the judging, I think it's a winner.

Gail

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

So wonderful!

Susie said...

Well done! Its wonderful!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Stunning! Such a wonderful piece with lots of work and meaning.