If you wish to join please email us your details and we will send an invite if we have space to, if no space available we will add your name to our waiting list and we will email you to join us as soon as a spot is available.

Thanks Dawn and Wendy
x


Sunday, May 13, 2012

I've been busy...

Last weekend, we had our Quilting Retreat - the first one I have ever been to :-) Was lovely, and I got heaps done: I finished my 6 screen printed place mats for BiL and family (thank goodness I worked on them there, I ran out of thread outlining the last two letters but lovely Carol had exactly that thread with her so I could finish it!), I made a reusable shopping tote that folds up into a neat little bag, I pieced the backing, sandwiched and quilted the second of four of my pastel tessellation pieces that will eventually go onto my bed and I made a reverse applique block for the Club's Heart Quilt. I also pulled out the leftovers from my blue/green/purple Stratavarious quilt I made a few years ago. I still love the colours, and when I had a look into that box, I realised there were heaps of pre-cut strips left as well:
The colours were inspired by the NZ Paua Shell (Abalone)

I took some of the already pieced bits and with a bit of juggling pieced them into four patches which I then pieced into a larger four patch, about 16" square, to be made into a cushion cover. Originally I had wanted to do some reverse applique, but it somehow felt wrong cutting this mass of pieced strips up again! In the end, using cotton batting and a piece of my cotton organdy dropcloth from a silk organza painting session as backing, I free motion quilted instead by outlining melon shapes so they look like interlocking circles and microstippled inside the squarish shapes (there must be a name for this shape!). On the back I inserted a recycled zip (quite bulky and in white not quite matching but it will do). So that's my finish No. 10 for this year!



I also started playing with the remaining strips, the colours are just so lovely I couldn't leave them alone! Here are a couple of blocks I made, logcabin type style, not sure yet where I am heading with this but I will figure it out!

Mother's Day weekend was spent on a different (new) project, I pieced the top for a quilt I am donating to my younger boys' school for fundraising, using Robert Kauffmann's The Lorax fabric. As it is all about the actual pictures, I kept the pattern simple. I am itching to get into the quilting, even though I'm not sure yet what exactly I will do (probably some sort of stippling), but first I have to get into a shop to by some decent polar fleece.
Not a UFO but bright and cheerful :-)


Happy Mother's Day to you all!

5 comments:

Susan said...

YOu were very productive - isnt it great when you can borrow exactly what you need! Love the blue/ greens in the first picture! Its all great work.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Your pillow turned out wonderful! Love the colors. Your log cabin scraps look like they want to be a zipper bag.

lizZ said...

I'm so impressed with how much you achieved during a retreat- would you come over to my place and work on my large unfinished pile, please ?? [only joking, of course]. Loved the gorgeous cushion, too.

You have inspired me to definitely make a start on my unruly number of PhD's, today.

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Pretty pillow, great use of scraps! Great finishes!

Chris H said...

What awesome finishes... that really colourful cushion is amazing!