Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A PROMISE !

RIGHT.. this is not a finish!
It's a PROMISE....  (and I hope I'm allowed to post this!)


I had not had a single FINISH this year, not even a tiny one!
Today I decided I would make a start on me UFO's.
As it's now winter I can't work in me garage like normal... so I've brought my sewing machine up into the lounge... and I'm SEWING!


I have not done anything for so long I completely forgot how to do bindings... you know.. the shitty bit where you have to join the end?


So.. I printed out some tutorials.. and I think I've got the idea now... even though every other one I seem to join them wrong!




I WILL NOT LET IT DETER ME... I am going to get these 8 Placemats DONE in the next few days... so stay tuned...


Some encouragement would be nice too!   I HATE sewing bindings on!
It's easily the worst part of any project for me.


ONWARD .....

7 comments:

sunny said...

You go Girl! And if you attach a few bindings, send them to me and I'll stitch them down for you.

Chris H said...

Ha HA!
You really don't want to stitch down my bindings !!! I live in New Zealand! Just a bit far to send them really lol... *smiles*

Fiona said...

I know you can, I know you can...... close to the end now....
Hugz

Susan said...

Gosh - I do agree - its the joining bit that I hate too - the rest is OK.
Do you know - its probably too late now - but for a placemat or other small thing you can do it like a pillow case - quilt the top and wadding together - at least a bit, then lay it on top of the backing (right sides together) and sew around the edge leaving a gap so you can turn it inside out. Hand sew the gap and stich 1/4 inch inside the edge to make it look like it was a binding. And if you are sneaky enough - you can put a seam in the backing, sew all around the quilt and unpick part of that seam to turn the quilt inside out. I have a little tutorial where I did it on my blog - email me if you want the post link.
Good Luck with the finishes.

Chris H said...

Wow Susan, that is a darn good idea! I will check out your blog to find the tutorial... and thanks.

lizZ said...

Hi- I usually have trouble joining the end of bindings, so I'e just bought an inexpensive tool from online store in USA to make the task easier. Try missouriquiltco.com under notions, costs US$8.95 plus postage. It has instructions on use printed on it, so hoping it will be a fail-safe investment. Good luck.

NB Their quilt store, Missouri Star Quilt Co offer lots of great free 'how-to' tutorials on all kinds of techniques and patterns.

KJC said...

As well Missouri SQC there is also a tutorial on Leah Day blog about binding with video which are also on You Tube.
Lavinia