Sunday, January 22, 2012

# 3 is a folder cover (plus another and a potmat!!!!)

When I learn a new technique I like to try a 'smallish' project... sadly these then tend to get cast off into the 'one day' UFO box....

This folder cover was on my UFO list from last year and 
is # 25 on my UFO list this year


but when I opened the box properly I found more !!

there was this piece which I made when I was learning some embroidery stitches....


and this was a piece made learning needleturn applique ...


..... and another needleturn applique piece using freezer paper.....


I was so proud of my 'hidden' threads and 'tiny' stitches!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so I sliced and I diced, and I snipped and stitched....

my embroidery skills folder cover....

then I couldn't resist practicing FMQ feathers
(this is a learning project)

they are definitely easier done on a small scale...


played with a hearty leafy design.....


more feathers - and made another folder cover ......


just simple slip in sleeves....

but I think I love my hot pot mat the best....

I'm glad I didn't throw my practice pieces away... it's great to look back and see where I have improved... but I also found out those not terribly good stitches and all the mistakes are pretty well hidden once it is all made up.

Nice to get 3 things from one UFO???

What do you do with your little practice pieces?
 

11 comments:

Wanda said...

Way to go Fiona!!

Valspierssews said...

This is great Fiona. The folder covers are nice but the quilting on the hot mat makes it look like a masterpiece.

RandR Serenity said...

Wow Fiona, I would not be putting a pot on that it mat, it is simply beautiful.

Could you explain how you created that effect with the ric rac, it looks like you did a running type stitch, would that be correct?

Love the folder idea,

Hugs

Barb said...

Your feathers are fabulous.... and love your folder

Susan said...

What an excellenet way to use the old practive pieces.

Maria said...

All the projects you made out of your practise pieces are great. You are amazing!!!!

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Gorgeous hot pot mat! I think I'd hang it on a scroll frame, I can't see putting a pot on it. I love how you used your pretty practice pieces - great idea!

Wendyb said...

Oh Fiona....definitely LOVe that hot pot mat.......just my cup of tea!!!! LOL
Great use of practice pieces...they never go to waste!
sew many hugs
wendy :O) xoxo

Quiltin' Sandy said...

Beautiful work, Fiona. :)

Mary said...

Those all turned out great! I love the folder covers...beautiful work!

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

very clever and so beautiful ex-ufo´s . My favirit is the hot pot mat too, great quilting!