Sunday, January 29, 2012

Hi there!


This is my first post to this blog, thanks for having me! When I first started quilting about 6 years ago, I was certain I would 'only ever buy what I need for the current quilt' and definitely never do applique! Much has changed since, and in September last year I finally started blogging about my quilting here, which as of recent includes a page on home made recipes.
I live in the Far North region of New Zealand, so it is coming to the end of our summer holidays now. As wife, mum of three and full-time teacher time is at a premium, but to keep myself sane I just have to be creative! Many years ago, playing music filled up my / our time, I have enjoyed felting for a while, card making and scrap booking, but nowadays it usually has to do with quilting. These summer holidays I had a good clean up in my sewing room and found 10 UFOs or WIPs, and since the start of 2012 I have manage to complete some of these:
1. My first ever project, a Crazy Quilt kit set from Spotlight purchased in 2005. I started it before I owned a rotary cutter or a 1/4" foot, and when I recently completed the last block, I finally realised that indeed all the pieces would fit together if you did it right.




 2. A Pinwheel Table Cloth, started last summer. Originally I had meant the squares to make individual cushions for our outdoor table / bench set, but even with protective spray the colour on the matching table runner faded too much so I turned it into a table cloth:

3. In some past Quilting Arts Magazine I read about turning pictures into quilts. Here are two of my three boys':

One more boy to go, there are plenty of nice pics but last time I checked, none suitable for this method, so you could say it's not a true finish but I count it anyway (can't finish what you haven't started, can you?).

There is one more WIP almost finished, I'll post a picture once I am finished with the binding and the gazillion thread ends of the youngest DS new Dinosaur quilt. I have been quite busy these summer holidays with various other small projects, feel free to check out my blog.

Happy Sewing!

7 comments:

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Hi Monika
Love your crazy quilt - very impressive for your very first project. Also your art quilts of your boys are great - I would love to try something like that.:)

Wendyb said...

Wow Monika....plenty UFOs getting done over the way!!!....amazing what can be achieved in school hol's ....(don't I know it!!!) Love love love your boy's quilts...it's on my quilty bucket list....might have to get some clues from you!!!! LOL
keep on delving.....loving what we're seeing so far!
sew many hugs
Wendy :O) xo

miss~nance said...

Well done Monika - lovely finishes. Love your tablecloth and the boys pics are incredible.

Blessings

Gail

Susan said...

I think your portraits are fantastic

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Great finishes. Beautiful job on the portraits.

Chris H said...

Welcome to our blog... your finishes are just lovely, especially the boys pics!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Your boy pictures are amazing!