If you wish to join please email us your details and we will send an invite if we have space to, if no space available we will add your name to our waiting list and we will email you to join us as soon as a spot is available.

Thanks Dawn and Wendy
x


Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A finish for January!

One of the lovely things about keeping a blog is that you can put dates to events and remember when things happen. However... there is an embarrassing side as well. I found the first post I made about this project back in December 2007. There is another one a little bit later and then a third one in January 2008. In that one I said I wasn't going to put it away because it won't get finished. Well guess what? It didn't ....until today. I put the last stitch in today. And here is my version of Trees on the Table, designed by Marcie of Patchalot Patterns. You can find the pattern and a gallery here. The lovely thing about this pattern is that it has a variety of different borders. It is just lovely and I am cross with myself for leaving it so long.


I also want to issue a warning about leaving things so long as well. I made the top back then and misplaced it for a while. Then I found it, sandwiched it and did a bit of quilting on it, probably about a year ago although it could be longer. When I got it out to finish I found that there must have been some damp and some of the pins I had left in there ( yes, I know we are told not to do that) looked like this.......

They were hard to remove and one or two just broke when I tried to get them out. In most spots it is okay but there is one which is a problem. These holes are not made by the pin but the corrosion from the pin has eaten the fabric.


So I hope this is giving you a little bit of incentive to get things finished. Not only do you prevent bad things happening over time but you also get to actually use them ( I would have loved to have used this last Christmas).

So I just made it in for a January finish. Yippee!

9 comments:

sunny said...

It's very cute! Note to self: always remove pins before putting quilt away.

Fiona said...

It is beautiful... a shame about the pin holes but thanks for the warning ....
Hugz

Cath said...

I have a quilt in the cupboard (been there for 10 years) with pins in it for about 5years....I am scared to look at it. I really like the little tree quilt...very cute!

Erin said...

I Love it! And thank you for the tip about the pins!!!

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

I love your Trees on a Table, a great finish! Thanks for the incentive to finish items quicker - motivation always helps.

Susan said...

I love the quilt and its scary how long these things takje sometimes

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Cute tree quilt! I tend to break alot of rules but the one I do stick with is not to leave pins in a quilt. I've seen a few quilts that have rust spots or holes like yours.

miss~nance said...

Love your trees. Wanring duly noted.......

Marilyn said...

Lovely little tree quilt. I heed the warning from personal experience, so you arent alone there. I had a couple of pins leave little rust marks. Grrr. Should have been more careful.