Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A finish for January!

One of the lovely things about keeping a blog is that you can put dates to events and remember when things happen. However... there is an embarrassing side as well. I found the first post I made about this project back in December 2007. There is another one a little bit later and then a third one in January 2008. In that one I said I wasn't going to put it away because it won't get finished. Well guess what? It didn't ....until today. I put the last stitch in today. And here is my version of Trees on the Table, designed by Marcie of Patchalot Patterns. You can find the pattern and a gallery here. The lovely thing about this pattern is that it has a variety of different borders. It is just lovely and I am cross with myself for leaving it so long.


I also want to issue a warning about leaving things so long as well. I made the top back then and misplaced it for a while. Then I found it, sandwiched it and did a bit of quilting on it, probably about a year ago although it could be longer. When I got it out to finish I found that there must have been some damp and some of the pins I had left in there ( yes, I know we are told not to do that) looked like this.......

They were hard to remove and one or two just broke when I tried to get them out. In most spots it is okay but there is one which is a problem. These holes are not made by the pin but the corrosion from the pin has eaten the fabric.


So I hope this is giving you a little bit of incentive to get things finished. Not only do you prevent bad things happening over time but you also get to actually use them ( I would have loved to have used this last Christmas).

So I just made it in for a January finish. Yippee!

9 comments:

sunny said...

It's very cute! Note to self: always remove pins before putting quilt away.

Fiona said...

It is beautiful... a shame about the pin holes but thanks for the warning ....
Hugz

Cath said...

I have a quilt in the cupboard (been there for 10 years) with pins in it for about 5years....I am scared to look at it. I really like the little tree quilt...very cute!

Unknown said...

I Love it! And thank you for the tip about the pins!!!

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

I love your Trees on a Table, a great finish! Thanks for the incentive to finish items quicker - motivation always helps.

Susan said...

I love the quilt and its scary how long these things takje sometimes

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Cute tree quilt! I tend to break alot of rules but the one I do stick with is not to leave pins in a quilt. I've seen a few quilts that have rust spots or holes like yours.

miss~nance said...

Love your trees. Wanring duly noted.......

Marilyn said...

Lovely little tree quilt. I heed the warning from personal experience, so you arent alone there. I had a couple of pins leave little rust marks. Grrr. Should have been more careful.