Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Les at Les Quilts, new contributing blogger!

Hi!
Thank you for Dawn and Wendy for welcoming me as a contributing blogger.  I blog over at Les Quilts.  I have been quilting full time since 1998.  My grandmother and mom taught me to sew and I used to make all my own clothes.  Then hubby and I had 2 boys, now 31 and 29 (but their parents are not getting OLD! right!?!?)  LOL
We live in Northwestern Ontario in Canada.  We live about 150 miles east of Winnipeg, Manitoba, the continental midpoint of North America, but in Canada.
I work as a Nurse Practitioner, a Registered Nurse, but with more training and education and a licence to do about 95% of what a doctor does in his clinic.  I work with 13 physicians and 2 other nurse practitioners.  I have been an NP for over 5 years and it is a great job.  People are so nice and appreciate everything you do for them!
My local Quilting Guild is having a UFO challenge to promise and then see how many finishes we can complete between our January and June meetings.  I have 11 items I promised, so Wish Me Luck!  I appreciate being able to share my finishes with you, thinking it will help me get it all done!
Here are a few pictures.  They are mostly wall hangings or table covers.  Most of them are sandwiched and just need to be quilted and bound.  When you look at my blog, you will see I'm great at finishing flimsies, but procrastinate with the quilting part.  I don't know what it is, I just do.  I don't mind doing the binding, but I just get hung up on the quilting part.
Ok, here we go:
1.  This is a little applique wall hanging I made a few years ago, it needs to be sandwiched, machine quilted, bound and embellishing finished.  The pattern came from a quilt book, sorry I don't remember the name.

2.  This is about 24 x 12 inches.  It is a design by Frances Leate of the Quilting Owl blog.  Her pattern was in the Australian Quilt and Patchwork magazine around Sept or Oct 2010.  The pattern was for hand piecing, but I changed the pattern with France's permission and made it all with machine piecing.  This is the second one I made and I'd like to get it quilted and bound, and hopefully keep it for me.  My favorite colour is blue.
3.  This is about 12 x 12 inches.  It is wool appliqued on cotton.  I think it is for a cushion.

4.  This is another appliqued table topper.  I made the flimsy in 2006.  I re-hand appliqued it in 2008 when I became much better at applique-ing.  Yup, it needs to be sandwiched, quilted and bound too.
5.  This is a Christmas Wall Hanging/Lap quilt I made from a panel in 2006 too.  I sandwiched it about 1.5 yrs ago!  See, I said I procrastinated!  I don't remember who designed the panel, but I did purchase it at a quilt store!

6. This is a Welcome Panel I purchased and bordered in, maybe 2007?  Yup, sandwiched for about 1.5 yrs when I did the one above.  I have started quilting the house, to look like bricks.

7.  this is a kit made into a table topper.  I think this has been sandwiched at least 1.5 yrs ago.  I completed one, gave it away for a gift at a Christmas Party.
Ok, I think I've bored you long enough and confessed enough for one posting!  LOL
I'll be back when I get something finished!  (or at least quilted!) ;-)))
Take care, Leslie

6 comments:

Susan said...

Leslie, Dont feel alone - most of this group do the same thing - make the tops and leave them - at least you have sandwiched them. I am never bored by the lists UFOs I see - just feel better knowing I am not alone.

Dawn said...

you are most welcome and wow your a busy lady... you can do it, we will encourage you...lets get stitching together!!!!
Hugs Dawn x x x

Maria said...

Oh Leslie we all have many UFO's. look forward to seeing your finishes.

Fiona said...

Hi Leslie and welcome... it will be fun finishing off things with you.... you have some lovely work there so it will be great to have them done...
Hugz

miss~nance said...

Lovely projects there, looking forward to seeing the finished work.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Sounds like you have lots of motivation to get some things finished. Love the snowman family.