Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Finish!

Hi! I'm Laura from 3 Doodles and a Dog. I've been part of this blog for almost a year, but have yet to have any finishes to share. The quilt I'm sharing is a first for me in many ways - the biggest being my first quilt finish in over 6 years! (I have twin boys that just turned 5 - yes, there is a very strong correlation there!) After needing to move and reduce my stash multiple times since moving into our house 6 years ago, I finally got it organized last summer - and pulled all of my almost finished UFO's together. This quilt topped that stack:



It was from a one-day mystery back from maybe 2004? It had already been quilted in the ditch, I just needed to add some quilting in the blocks and border. I have about an an hour to an hour and a half every other night to quilt. Finishing this quilt took two nights to get the thread/tension/needle/etc set correctly so that the thread didn't break (ie nights spent cursing and re-threading the machine/picking stitches), and one night to finish the blocks and border quilting. It's probably the worst quilting I've done since I first started, but it felt so good to have everything working that I didn't stop to make it pretty. It's just going to be used, abused, and loved by my boys, so I can fix anything that falls apart along the way. Thankfully, there are several more like it at the top of my 'to-do' pile to practice on before I need to worry about 'pretty'!

I don't have an offical UFO list - I know it's still pretty useless to put one together; but I do have the goal to get at least two more quilts finished off that pile by the end of the year. Now that my machine's all set for quilting, the incentive is there to get them done before I need to use the machine for anything else! Thanks for reading along and letting me join in the fun!

Laura

6 comments:

Fiona said...

Great start to your finishes... a lovely quilt... look forward to seeing the others!!
Hugz

Maria said...

Well done. Qilt looks great. Now you will have to finish another one.

Susan said...

Great projects - I can imagine with 2 boys under 5 there is not much time - but an hour a night will go a long way - unless you are too pooped to use that time! Good Luck with your finishes!!

miss~nance said...

Great work.....

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Great finish! I love the way this quilt looks.

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Wonderful finish! A great start to 2012.