Sunday, January 2, 2011

1 down...@@@@!!!^#**!! to go

Just showing you my first finish from my list of UFO's (which I still have to post on my blog!!!...oops)

I know....they don't look like much, but if I tell you the story, it will all make sense!!!! 

I had bought these curtains with the intention to put them in my kitchen in a rented property I lived in prior to even meeting my husband!!!! (We've been married 7 years this year!!!!!) 

I loved the look of gingham but I wanted to 'personalise' it, so I went about sketching flowers and leaves onto the back of vliesofix, ironing it to a variety of fat quarters that appealed to me and cutting them out.....that's where I started to slow down with the idea (I know it doesn't look it, but there are more than 50 there)!!!  There were sooooo many to cut out and my fingers go too sore, not to mention my then 7-year-old wanted to help 'cut'!!!!
So the project got shelved for a while and placed carefully in the cupboard for a later date.....when I had 'more time'!!! (don't we all wish for that??)    I retrieved them a year or so later and got through the cutting stage and even ironed them onto the curtains, but then I met my husband to be and after a while we moved house and yes......it got packed safely away again for 'another time'.

We've moved twice since then and I had completely forgotten about these darling curtains, until I was examining my stash with a fine tooth comb, writing my list and checking it twice just prior to the birth of Sew It's Finished.   As you can see, it didn't need much....just some blanket stitch (and what a good excuse to practice with my new machine!!) and some buttons sewn on, a good wash to rid them of their dusty 'aroma' and an iron and hanging.

And now they proudly adorn my craft room window, which before looked bare and stark.  My room now looks a little more homely, and I have achieved one thing off my list, which otherwise would have remained a WIP or UFO for who knows how long!!!!

I feel an overwhelming sense of accomplishment, getting rid of the past and forging into the future......WOOHOOOO....I'm freeeeeeee!!!!!! (we'll, maybe that's going a little overboard, but.....you know what I mean!!!!)

So, what's your first UFO on your list????

Sew many blessings
XX  Wendy :O)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done! They look great!

Dawn said...

Fabulous Wendy.. the first finish for 2011 and in only 2 days in.... How many more can you get done??? CHALLENGED??...I know I am..
Hugs Dawn x x x

Maria said...

Well done. the curtains look great.

sunny said...

Great finish! Can't wait to see what else is on your list.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness..a finish already and its only the 2nd!! I better get a move on!!! They look great :)

Jude said...

Saw I had a typing error and dont know how to change it, so now I will write it properly.7 years as a UFO that`s not bad, but now its all finished and hanging at the window, well done and next post I will check what I have written before posting. Now I will go and attempt to count my UFOs.

Sue said...

Well done Wendy!! I think they look lovely! Great idea for your sewing room. One UFO down! :0)
Hugs n Blessings from Sue xx

Melody said...

Well done Wednesday. I, too, love gingham and these look wonderful personalised.

Doris said...

They look lovely Wendy, and I understands the feeling of freedom! What an accomplishment, as well as the excitement of what 'old thing' to tackle next. Woo hoo!!

Melody said...

Hi Wendy,
Somehow I turned you into a character from the Addams Family. I wonder if you have long black plaits and a mini guillotine.
Sorry.

Crowing Moon said...

Wow...they look so pretty :) Well done on your finish.

Jo in TAS said...

Don't you breathe a sigh of relief knowing that's one UFO off your list and what a pretty one it is!

Anne-Mettes Oaser said...

The curtains look lovely. Isn't this a nice feeling having finsihed the very first UFO in 2011? :-).

Sue said...

That is the cutest set of curtains I've seen.

Chris H said...

They are lovely curtains... well done on a long, long overdue finish!
My first finish was a quilt that took 2.6 years to finally finish.